Wednesday, August 14, 2013

About me and the goal of the blog...

My name is Peyton Anderson and I have been teaching since 2005. I have taught 7th grade Civics and Economics in a collaborative setting, 8th grade English, and currently 8th grade Civics and Economics in a Center Based Gifted program. I am married to a much smarter young lady who has also been in the education field since 2005. She taught in middle and high school and is now an Assistant Principal at our local middle school. She is brilliant, beautiful, and a perfect friend and wife. I owe her a lot of the push I have needed over the years to develop this and make it available to others. She is the absolute best part of me. We are also expecting our first child this fall! Needless to say I am VERY excited!

Outside of the classroom I work for my father-in-law as an Assistant Artisan Blacksmith. No, I do not make horse shoes or swords...but, I do love working with my hands and the freedom of expression through to the traditions of a timeless trade. I am also an avid outdoorsman full of fishing and hunting. Most of my ideas for the classroom come while behind the anvil, getting a line wet, or sitting in a tree stand. It is all about quiet contemplation and reflection.

I have finally decided to take the leap and share with anyone interested my approach to teaching. It is not new, revolutionary, or ground breaking from where I am sitting...it is just what works for me. I am 100% sure others are doing similar work, but I had not seen it put in terms as I will do here.

The "Teach Like T.V." concept came about through my general A.D.D. type tendencies in lecture during class. I noticed my side stories and horrible puns would re-direct students by controlling their distractions as well. Through several "experiments" during lecture I found a good ratio of lecture to distraction. This roughly matched up to basic T.V. programming to commercial time. It got me thinking about what else this glowing idol of entertainment has to offer to my teaching methods. Observed basic advertising and branding strategies can be applied to lessons to further engage the student while promoting higher level thinking as well. My goal is to share with you what I have found to work so far in hopes of providing you with an idea or two that could work in your classroom as well. This is an on-going methodology. And I welcome you to come along on my journey.

I will use this blog to post ideas, topics, thoughts, and resources that can further our collective work in preparing the next generation for this complex work through the things we do in our classrooms.

Yours in Service,
Peyton Anderson
"Teach Like T.V."

No comments:

Post a Comment